So they declined my request to move to part time. I wasn't really expecting this. This company I work for, they talk a lot about how flexible they are. They have this whole Flexible Work Arrangements program - FWA. It has it's own website. The HR people will tell you that they are very supportive of FWA - but of course the final decision is up to your organizations management. So really it's all smoke and mirrors. They aren't supportive of it. They just put on a good show. It's too bad. It's disappointing. Especially from a company that is supposedly one of the great places to work, if you believe the magazines. Hypocrites.
1. Continue working full time. But I don't think I can. I feel like I'm barely keeping up now, and that I'm doing a crap ass job at both my professional job and my mothering job. I'm spread too thin and it's not sustainable.
2. Look for a different job in a different group that maybe would let me go part time. Problem is that what I do is advertising. And I already work for the advertising group. So if I went to a different group it would mean doing something different. I could do that. I'm smart, I'm adaptable. And my job really is mostly project management, a skill I could apply to any number of marketing disciplines. But do I want to? I don't know.
My motivation to keep busting my ass for this company is running thin.
3. Quit and be a full time SAHM. Not really an option. We theoretically could maybe do it if we cut waaay back on our expenses and saved nothing - including putting a hold on any kind of retirement savings, Jim's 401k, etc. But that doesn't seem very smart. And we don't live all that extravagantly to begin with. It's doable, but our lives wouldn't be any fun. And me full time with babies might not be in anybody's best interest.
4. Quit as a full time employee, and do contract work part time. There are always lots of contract positions available, people are always looking for experienced help - for short term projects, for maternity leave coverage, etc. The guy who covered for me during my maternity leave does this very thing - he used to be a full time employee of our company, and he quit and started contracting a few years ago. I'm just as good as him, and he never has trouble finding contracts.
Option 2 and Option 4 are on the consideration list. At the moment I strongly lean toward option 4. But I only got this news today and I really should let it sink in and fully explore option 2 before I make any kind of decision.
What I'd really like to do is walk into someones office today and tell these bastards to take this job and shove it. But unfortunately my desire for a paycheck precludes me from doing that.