Thursday, August 28, 2008

birthday ideas and other ramblings and rantings

Can you believe that we have a one year birthday coming up in just a little over 3 weeks? It's crazy. I feel like I've been in a time machine.

So - give me your best baby birthday ideas! I'm not big on birthday party throwing. My inclination is to just invite a few family over and let everybody watch the babies go to town on some cake. But I'm open for more creative suggestions if you have them.

____________________

Did I mention before that I've become very selective with the information I share with my mother?

She knows nothing about Daniel's PT eval, and nothing about his CS appointments (even though this one was actually her idea - she thinks I ignored her suggestion). I've just told her that he seems to be doing so much better that we think he's over his hump, just took him a while to mature.

And she definitely knows nothing about Callie's little fall the other day.

My reasons are thus:
1) She worries like crazy. She loses sleep. She gets choked up on the phone. The crazy part of all that is that she will tell anybody who listens that she is a very mellow person and that she "does not let stress into her life". But in reality she is one of the most stressed people I know - she worries and frets about everything.

2) she drives me nuts with all the questioning. She wants minute by minute updates whenever she knows something is going down. She will call 10 times a day for updates. If she knows there is a doctor appointment at a certain time, she will be calling before the hour is even up. And if she doesn't hear from us, she gets very worried. And she keeps calling. and calling. I stopped telling her when my appointments were when I was pregnant because she would not leave me alone about it. Same if she knows the babies have an appointment. And if she knew one of them had a problem - good lord, I'd never get any peace. Of course I'd tell her about something that was going to be major and ongoing, but this stuff that I think we can just handle ourselves, I'm choosing not to share.

So I could say that I don't tell her everything because I have her best interest in mind - I don't want her to worry and get stressed out. But really the honest truth is that I don't want to be subject to the stalking and inquisition.

____________

Update: Callie is doing great. Crawling everywhere like a champ. She maybe has a slight 'limp' to her arm, but most people probably wouldn't even notice. She is back to stealing her brother's toys and climbing all over everything. She has a check up next week.

4 comments:

cat said...

First birthday parties comming for us both! I am just going to have a small family get together, but if you want to see a great first birthday party idea - have a look at this post.http://juggelingactoflife.blogspot.com/2008/07/first-bday-party-actually-for-one-year.html

Bea said...

I'm so glad Callie is ok. What a scary week! Onward to birthday celebrations, I say. I have no ideas for you, though.

Bea

Hopeful Mother said...

I know what you mean about moms/grandmoms and worrying. I swear that my mom is more worried about Alex than I am! You are wise to keep your info close to the chest.

We've got a 1st bday coming up too... I think we're going to do just a small family get-together, possibly at a restaurant so I don't have to clean up!

Glad to hear Callie is doing OK.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is amazing! I'm so happy for you! I was diagnosed with PCOS long time ago. My only chance to become a mother was de ivf. I had doubts. Many thoughts never left my mind! The greatest fear was that I will not be able to love child, which is not genetically related to me. It's much easier for man to accept this procedure, because a baby will be from him. As it was my only way out, I decided we should try. It was a difficult, but the result changed our lives! I wanted a baby who I will carry and give birth by myself. I wanted to be with him from the moment of his birth, from his first breath. Of course, I wanted baby to look like us. But as soon as the doctor made an embryo transfer, the only thing I was thinking about was pregnancy to be successful and my baby to be born healthy! Now, when I remember how I suffered and couldn't bear the thought that I have to resort to donor eggs, I cannot help laughing. My child is at home right now and every time I look at him, I see that every day he more and more looks like me. I raise healthy and, of course, the most beautiful baby in the world! I underwent de ivf in Ukrainian biotexcom. We asked our doctor to find egg donor, who will have same features as I have. We sent information about the desirable characteristics of the donor to the clinic. We indicated height, weight, hair color, eyes color, nose, face and lips shape. Generally saying, all features we needed. Then the clinic found three donors corresponding to our phenotypes and sent us info about them. And then we chose the one, who suited the most. Speaking about egg donors and their health. All requirements to donors were specified in the package we've chosen. First requirement is age of donor. All their donors are 18 – 25 years old. Second requirement is perfect physical and mental health. And third requirement is absence of genetic diseases in the donor and her family. So we were absolutely sure in health of our donor. Now I have absolutely no feeling that my son is not mine genetically! No one can ever tell he is from donor egg. We decided not to tell our parents the whole truth. For them we had ivf with my eggs and my husband's sperm. Girls, I wish all of you all the best!