we are planning to take two babies out for 10 days on a 38 foot sailboat. Are we nuts?
For the last several years (except last year, as I was 9 months pregnant) we have taken a 2+ week vacation on our sailboat. Since we missed it last year, and our poor boat has been so neglected for the past 2 years, and I HATE the thought of becoming "those people" who own a sailboat that they never use, we really want to try to do it this year. Normally we go pretty far - across the straight and north in the San Juan Islands and into Canada and the Gulf Islands, we cover a lot of ground. But this time we have agreed to just do very short days and stay local to Puget Sound. No more than 2 - 3 hours of sailing/motoring per day. But still - there will be challenges. A few of the things I am struggling with:
- where / how to put Callie to sleep on the boat. She pulls up on everything, she stands up in her crib. If I put her down for a nap on the boat, she will immediately jump up. I have to figure out how to contain her and keep her in some kind of 'bed'. The boat is too small for a porta-crib. At night I think I could just take her to bed with me, but it's nap time that's got me scratching my head.
- where to feed them. I'm getting a couple of those booster seats with a small tray. I guess I'll just set them on the benches. It's not necessarily the most stable spot, but there isn't really any other room.
- what to feed them - they eat a huge variety of food, so this shouldn't be too big of a problem. I just want to try to give stuff that's will minimize the mess as much as possible (so no spaghetti!), while still keeping their meals interesting.
- what to do with them while we are anchoring and docking. Jim can mostly sail the boat by himself if necessary. But anchoring and docking are two activities that require both of us. so I have to be able to put the babies down somewhere safe.
We are determined to keep sailing as a part of our life with kids. I know there are people out there who do this, but I'm just not sure how. what are we getting ourselves in to? any assvice is appreciated.
My sister will be having a baby shower in San Diego in October. My options:
- don't go
- go alone - leave the babies with Jim for the weekend.
- take one baby with me
- take both babies with me - venture 2 airplane trips by myself with two babies.
- convince Jim to come.
I guess the reality is that option 1 will probably be the most likely.
Maybe Option 2 is doable - I'd just hate to leave my husband with his hands so full, and I'd rather not be away from them.
Option 3 would work better for him, but the problem is that I'd have to choose which baby to leave behind, and I'd be riddled with guilt for the one I didn't choose.
Option 4 - Oy. possible. but is it worth it? Me + two babies on an airplane for 3+ hours each way.
Option 5 - Mostly a cost issue. Buying two tickets, getting him to take a day or two off work.
What would you do?