Anonymous asks: "Sooo...if you could only have one (or two) baby carriers, which ones would you choose? I'm asking this as a mom of 5 month old twins myself. I have two baby bjorns (hand me downs) which I find to be a bit flimsy and I'm in the market for something new."
Ahh, good question. You are making me choose!
It's actually not that hard of a choice. Based on what I currently have - I would go with this one if I could only have one. Comfortable. Very versatile. And definitely not flimsy. You won't be sorry. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. And maybe you can find a used one on e.bay.
If you allow me to have two, then I would also add this sling to the list. It's so easy to roll up and keep in your diaper bag.
But... (you may slap my hand if you like)... I ordered one of these. I know. Bad Girl. I have no self control. But I have a feeling it may represent the best of both of the above. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives in a month. (custom made, so no instant gratification available here)
For added fun - somebody on my twins board recently posted these instructions for making your own sling. I intended to try it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Let me know if you try it.
- measure from your shoulder to opposite hip, multiply times two and add six inches (roughly). This is your length.
- Go to a fabric store and buy a length of 45 inch fabric in the length you need from your measurements (I round up a half yard, you can use the excess to make a matching bag to store it in if you like)
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together. (so it's inside out).
- Sew a seam the length of the fabric, making a long tube.
- Turn it right side out.
- Fold it in half width wise, and pin the cut ends together.
- Draw a curved line there on the cut end. (so the whole thing looks kind of like half a hot dog)
- Sew along the curved line and cut the excess. this is the INSIDE of your sling
- Turn right side out and stitch the seam again to reinforce it.
- End result should look something like this.